The last few years have felt like a shadow; first when I worked in another district trying to appease the department without going "rogue," only to find discontentment with the material and a frustration with myself to defend my own pedagogy.
This picture represents something you would see in my classroom everyday. They have sat in a corner, and I decided to use them for an activity. It was related to an estimation lesson which can span ANYWHERE in the 7-12th grade spectrum.
For those of you who lack courage, but have the skillset to show what you know- take a risk!! I have browbeaten the issue far too long. I know I should be able to make a presentation at a conference with some of my ideas, I lacked the confidence to follow through, though I have been fairly successful with my methods. I thought I could not advance my career or improve my practice without going to a larger district. I found this to not be necessarily true, with a caveat. The connections I built (with students) went beyond the classroom, when I would run into them at a grocery store, at their place of employment, at a restaurant, etc.
Cultural relevance is not a distant concept; it may already be in your backyard. You have to open your eyes to see what's going on with students, though they are very protective of their own "backyard," not wanting to be mocked, ridiculed, or ejected for their personal backgrounds and beliefs. The rules for mathematics in Minnesota have already changed; there's a lot of hearsay about catering to certain groups. Perhaps it's time to open the scope of what you are doing and ask yourself, "What context does this [concept] play in the students' lives, or can they benefit from a specific contextual situation (not just abstract manipulation)?" Try to be mindful at the same time what the students have to go home to. I'm not going to delve into the "privilege" game, for I have personally witnessed some near poverty situations growing up--and honestly people need to stop beating themselves up or feeling guilty.
Two guidelines can go a long ways
1. Show empathy (does not mean guilt)
2. Be Kind - this may be a new concept for many of your students.
I can't guarantee I will provide quick insights to the new standards, but if I come across something phenomenal, I will try to share it!
Til I chalk again,
Mr. "Shel"

Comments
Post a Comment