Skip to main content

Behind the Eight ball...again.

I admit it, I did not formally force whole classes of students, most of whom aren't 11th graders, to go through weeks of MCA testing practice. In fact, the bulk of what I did in the 3 weeks prior, to focus in, was to introduce/revisit vocabulary, walk through the math test sampler, including 1st 2 pages of problems, what constitutes a good problem (6) vs. a poor one (1). Outside of that, I emphasized problem solving, attention to form, and basically what I do with every lesson I teach, organization and processing. (I also made a special entry of my school teacher page devoted to MCA)

As a teacher who's on a maiden voyage with the district I serve this year, I hope to really discover with my department how to fairly handle those 11th graders (considering the classes I teach are not traditionally 11th grade math), and did receive a parent's frustration of the fairness of preparation. Outside of that, I did receive positive feedback from other students who took advantage of the review, and felt adequately prepared for the MCA...

6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

For those interested in SAT preparation, my RSS subscription to some math blogs yielded this fine site: http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/sat-tips-strategies.html, but that is something relevant to the student only, not the district at-large.

Til I chalk again,

Mr. Sheldahl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter - time for renewal of ideas

  I have been very remiss about keeping up my blog (mainly for me), but you have not yet checked Mathbits from MCTM, I highly encourage you to do so (not just because there is an article from me about my last plug for spring conference). Why the picture?  It represents some fundamental changes at our house.  My daughter, as pictured, has been interning out in the Chicago area to develop her media production skills to get better at her trade.  Most recently, her dog, Brice, has also (more recently) made that transition by riding back out there with her.  It makes me reflect and wonder what's the point of what I am doing right now? Do I have a mission to do other things and work with others since I no longer need to "watch over" the dog, nor tend to any immediate needs of my daughter.   I think most frequently, especially because of the pandemic, school students have developed this attitude, "What's the point? Why do we have to have math class?"  I...

Hope for the next standards....

  Though the picture represents a different reason for my mug smile (taken in May 2022), it makes me feel the same way to try to continue to hope for the future of math standards.   Currently we are working underneath the 2007 Minnesota Math Standards, and version III of the new standards have been out for comment by the public.  Before, there were general ideas what was supposed to be presented to Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, upper standards (advanced data and statistics), but yet did not account for the College Now or other preparatory math many schools have implemented to be competitive. Here's a case example of hope for improvement.  Currently I teach Algebra 1 to the eighth graders in our district.  The curriculum we have is very rigorous (that is to say, the book focuses on rational exponents), and gives students little practice with integer exponents to build their confidence.  This gap, paired with a low numeracy and low fraction exposure fr...

New Stress-old story

Photo by Kristine Lewis via Flickr This year marks my first in long time of having a struggle class be THE struggle class. Normally I like to do an activity with them I got from NCTM in the first month called “A Matter of Survival,” and the students usually play it out prettty well. This class could not focus for more than 2 minutes! It took me at least 20 minutes to tally their data. (October). Now they have been struggling to focus enough to understand the concepts...it almost borderlines dyscalculia.  Dyscalculia, according to Wikipedia, is " is difficulty in learning or comprehending arithmetic, such as difficulty in understanding numbers, learning how to manipulate numbers, and learning facts in mathematics. It is generally seen as a specific developmental disorder." Wikipedia reference They've been a distraction to themselves for so long, they missed capstone learning moments to solidify their number theory from the 6th grade before coming to the high...