Skip to main content

Enjoying the Summer and Running, running, running

Another late posting (meant for summer) I am starting to hate browser based publishing!--Cory

I admit, I've taken a respite from posting.  Not because of lack of material (but thank you Richard Byrne, I'm gone for a week and I find my RSS bin up to 200), but because I needed a mental vacation.  Obviously when I went on vacation my mind was at work much to my wife's chagrin.

Well, I took a physical vacation, and by the picture on the right you can see I visited Devil's Tower as one of my stops.  To list, I've been to Rapid City and Rushmore (again), over to Gillette, WY and down to Riverton.  From there I went through the forests and parks (Grand Tetons), with many stops there. After that we kept going north through Yellowstone and saw Ol' Faithful, and many hot springs (and one unstable geyser, which I DIDN'T know until I read the sign right in the middle of it!)

Of all the sites I saw, (and animals--tons in the Northeast corner of the Yellowstone area, maybe moved there because of the Colorado fires), this one of Devil's Tower struck me as one of the most incredible sites. (Besides being on TOP of the mountains, by taking Highway 212 and finding ourselves driving through a Winter Wonderland).

Why?? The mountain views were breath taking (both out and D O W N). This one stood as a challenge. One or two dots on the left side of the face are climbers, which really puts things in perspective of this whole thing.  The narrow trail around it is about 1.5 miles (maybe a little more). Connection to Education?  Student views of our current system.

The "effective" methods you can learn in professional development, are more of a clash when it comes to what students can really do with ways they obtain, manipulate, disseminate, and synthesize information.  This is why the old Rock of Education must either come down, or chiseled into a shape that's usable ("Pretty" for lack of a more tactful term).

How to make meaning of math doesn't have to be as intricate as Dan Meyer's approach (of 3 Acts), but sure keeps us from beating the textbook to death when schools like those in Byron, Minnesota develop an ongoing open-source mathematics text for their classes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter - time for renewal of ideas

  I have been very remiss about keeping up my blog (mainly for me), but you have not yet checked Mathbits from MCTM, I highly encourage you to do so (not just because there is an article from me about my last plug for spring conference). Why the picture?  It represents some fundamental changes at our house.  My daughter, as pictured, has been interning out in the Chicago area to develop her media production skills to get better at her trade.  Most recently, her dog, Brice, has also (more recently) made that transition by riding back out there with her.  It makes me reflect and wonder what's the point of what I am doing right now? Do I have a mission to do other things and work with others since I no longer need to "watch over" the dog, nor tend to any immediate needs of my daughter.   I think most frequently, especially because of the pandemic, school students have developed this attitude, "What's the point? Why do we have to have math class?"  I...

Hope for the next standards....

  Though the picture represents a different reason for my mug smile (taken in May 2022), it makes me feel the same way to try to continue to hope for the future of math standards.   Currently we are working underneath the 2007 Minnesota Math Standards, and version III of the new standards have been out for comment by the public.  Before, there were general ideas what was supposed to be presented to Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, upper standards (advanced data and statistics), but yet did not account for the College Now or other preparatory math many schools have implemented to be competitive. Here's a case example of hope for improvement.  Currently I teach Algebra 1 to the eighth graders in our district.  The curriculum we have is very rigorous (that is to say, the book focuses on rational exponents), and gives students little practice with integer exponents to build their confidence.  This gap, paired with a low numeracy and low fraction exposure fr...

New Stress-old story

Photo by Kristine Lewis via Flickr This year marks my first in long time of having a struggle class be THE struggle class. Normally I like to do an activity with them I got from NCTM in the first month called “A Matter of Survival,” and the students usually play it out prettty well. This class could not focus for more than 2 minutes! It took me at least 20 minutes to tally their data. (October). Now they have been struggling to focus enough to understand the concepts...it almost borderlines dyscalculia.  Dyscalculia, according to Wikipedia, is " is difficulty in learning or comprehending arithmetic, such as difficulty in understanding numbers, learning how to manipulate numbers, and learning facts in mathematics. It is generally seen as a specific developmental disorder." Wikipedia reference They've been a distraction to themselves for so long, they missed capstone learning moments to solidify their number theory from the 6th grade before coming to the high...